Surgery Update

My surgery yesterday went as expected.  I arrived early to get checked in to the surgery center, then was taken to the breast center to have a guide wire placed for the surgery.  That was an interesting procedure.

First, they took a regular mammogram just to be sure they could see the clip that had been put in place during my biopsy in February.  Then, they placed me in another room where I sat in a chair and was then placed in ‘the vice’ while they did another scan to get coordinates for where the radiologist would place the wire.  I had to stay in ‘the vice’ with my left hand up and head tilted right the entire procedure…talk about awkward! Just another laugh on my way down this path.  The radiologist came in and administered local anesthesia and inserted the wire.  Took more pictures to make sure it was in place and then, finally, I was released.  Then, the really funny part came…they placed a dixie cup over the wire and taped it down!  I swear the funniest things happen to me at the doctor’s office.

I was taken to my pre-op room where they asked 1000 questions and made me repeat my name and birthday a million times.  The anesthesiologist asked if I’d like some meds to help me relax.  As soon as the nurse dispensed the meds, it hit me hard.  My head started spinning and my eyes crossed.  Of course my kids laughed at me, but that’s ok.  I didn’t mind being the entertainment for the day. I stayed loopy the entire time and I’m not quite sure if anything I said made sense.

My cousin works at the surgery center and was able to help me on to the operating table and hold my hand while the anesthesiologist put me to sleep. It was nice to have a familiar face with me.  Of course I don’t remember anything about the surgery.  I remember waking up crying and cold. They put more blankets on me and that resolved the shivering and tears.

The doctor informed my husband that everything went as expected.  A sample of tissue about the size of a golf-ball was removed.  They had it imaged to make sure the clip was in the specimen and then sent it to pathology for testing.  I should have the results within 5-7 days.  We are praying they will not find any cancer cells.

I slept most of the day yesterday and I even slept well last night.  I haven’t been in any pain and took my last pain med at 2 a.m.  After the last surgery, I had to sleep in the recliner, but  I was able to sleep in the bed all night last night.

I am glad to have step 2 of this process out of the way.  After I have healed for a few weeks, I will begin step 3: radiation.  This is the part I have dreaded the most and is the one thing I need lots of prayer to face.

Thank you for all your words of encouragement and prayers.  I appreciate them so much.  Continue to pray for my healing and recovery.  I’ll update when I find out the pathology reports.

Resting and Recovering!


  1. Jamie Naylor says:

    Was it a 3oz or 6oz dixie cup? LOL You never cease to amaze me at your good humor and warm heart! Praying several times a day that you will be back keep in his comfort and grace.
    Love and Laughter,

  2. Christy McKinney King says:

    You’re so funny!! Must have gotten that from Mom & Dad! I feel for you…being in the “vice” that long was when you needed the pain meds!!! So sad that men don’t usually get the chance to enjoy those two pieces of plexiglass!! I love your attitude! Still pray for your entire family by name daily. You’re probably too young to remember the Mary Tyler Moore show and her theme song which ended in “You’re going to make it after all.” And I have no doubt that one day this will be just a distant memory for you! Keep that faith and sense of humor…both of them will make the remainder of the journey easier. God bless you sweetie!

Leave a Reply